The Kent, Surrey and Sussex (KSS) Supported Return to Training (SuppoRTT) programme aims to support all trainees to safely and confidently return to training after a sustained period of absence. The programme applies to all trainees absent for three months or more, regardless of the reason. Those absent for a shorter period may also opt in.
As returning trainees are a diverse group, SuppoRTT aims to provide a bespoke, individualised package for each returning trainee, rather than a single “one size fits all” approach. This consists of:
- a structured and systematic process for planning absence and return to training, and maintaining contact while on leave
- a menu of options that can be built into an individualised return-to-training package, agreed between a trainee and their educational supervisor
Please contact the SuppoRRT programme manager at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or need further information.
How can you apply?
1. Fill out a pre-absence form with your supervisor (this can be TPD, ES, college tutor, etc). This will guide your conversation around how to keep in contact while out of training and what resources you think you might need on your return.
2. Before your return fill out the pre-return form with your supervisor. This will enable you to:
- guide a conversation to highlight any support you might need, such as supervised clinical sessions, shadowing arrangements, refresher courses and coaching
- request supervised clinical sessions and shadowing arrangements, which must be agreed with your Head of School, Dean, Deputy Dean or Training Programme Director prior to completing the form
- share you plans with HR/medical staffing teams
3. Consider any courses you need to attend while you are out of training. Please be aware that:
- if, when completing your return to work form with your supervisor, you identify a course not currently accessible through your study budget, SRTT may be able to provide funding – a full list of courses covered by the study budget can be found on the PGMDE Support Portal
- if the course is covered by the study budget but you cannot access the study budget funding (e.g. if you are on an OOPC, OOPE or OOPR), SRTT may be able to provide funding
When you and your supervisor are happy that you don’t need any further support you can sign off the final return to training form.
Other SuppoRRT resources and support
- Apply for free coaching. If you are on maternity leave, you may also wish to consider the Leadership Academy’s Return to Work Mentoring programme.
- Keep checking the Supported Return to Training webpage for further news, courses and resources
- Routinely check the RTW online resources webpage.
If you have any further queries with regards to the SuppoRTT packages available, please contact email@example.com or your local SuppoRTT Champions (see below).
KSS local SuppoRTT champions
If you are a GP trainee please visit the GP SuppoRTT webpage.
The below provides the details for the SuppoRTT leads in local education providers (NHS Trusts):
Dartford and Gravesham NHS Trust
East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust
Jalal Maryosh- firstname.lastname@example.org
Kent and Medway NHS and Social Care Partnership Trust
Anoop Saraf – email@example.com
Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust
Emma Townsend and Anita Mann – firstname.lastname@example.org
Medway NHS Foundation Trust
Ginny Bowbrick – email@example.com
Ashford and St. Peter’s Hospitals NHS Trust
Anneliese Lawn – firstname.lastname@example.org
Frimley Park Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Michelle Carr – Michelle.Carr@net.net
Tian Huang – Tian.Huang@nhs.net
Royal Surrey County Hospital NHS Trust
Kathleen Potter – email@example.com
Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust
Ruth Hartley and Victoria Bates
Tina Suttle-Smith – firstname.lastname@example.org
Surrey and Borders NHS Foundation Trust
Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust
Nora Tester – email@example.com
East Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust
Ratan Alexander – firstname.lastname@example.org
Queen Victoria Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
Western Sussex Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Sam Vaughan – email@example.com
Sandra Samuel – firstname.lastname@example.org